Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Simbang Gabi 2014 - Day 1 and 2

Christmas is a few days from now and other than the holiday rush, shopping and other Christmas activities, these days mean one thing for us here in the Philippines and Filipinos in other countries; Simbang Gabi. The Simbang Gabi is a series of novena masses held over the nine days before Christmas starting on the 16th (i.e. yesterday) until Christmas Eve. It also goes by the names Misa de Gallo or Misa de Aguinaldo. One of the most popular traditions, many Catholics go to church to attend mass at an early morning hour or late at night. There is also the anticipated Simbang Gabi that happens at late at night starting from the 15th until the 23rd for those who couldn't attend and/or prefer not to attend the dawn mass. This event, one of the best (probably the best, actually) Christmas traditions we have keeps us focused on the reason why we celebrate Christmas: The Birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

This is one of those activities that I have been long waiting for during the Christmas season and attending these nine days is an exciting experience and a blessing. Like others, I hope to complete the nine day novena. It's not gonna be easy for sure but I believe I can do this. :) It's only day 2 though and there's only 7 more to go. So far, here's where I've been attending.

Day 1 - Christ the King Parish, Project 7, Quezon City.


To start off the Simbang Gabi, I attended the mass at our parish. Although I did set up my alarm, I woke up on my own (most likely because I was excited). Both our katulongs (helpers) here in our place attended this mass and I accompanied one of them while walking to the church (she also came with me the next day). About that time, there were people were already on the way. The church itself looked festive. Parols (Christmas lanterns) decorated the church interior and lights brightened up the church facade. Mass at the parish begins at 4:30 AM. In his homily, the priest quoted Pope Francis on mercy and based on that, preached about God's mercy and patience. He also talked about the importance of patience and of being grateful for our blessings. The mass was solemn and the crowd was so big that many people in the congregation were outside of the church. In fact, most people who attend Simbang Gabi are young people like myself. The choir was festive, singing Christmas songs. Right after the mass,some of the people went to the food stalls selling bibingka and puto bumbong. I bought puto bumbong for breakfast. I went home alone though. A great start to the Simbang Gabi. (^_^)




Belen without the Child Jesus

Day 2 - Santissimo Rosario Parish, UST, Manila


For the second day, I went this time to my school in UST. Like the day before, I got excited again that I woke up at times. Of all the places I have been to for the Simbang Gabi, this is my most favorite place. It's accessible, the atmosphere is festive and the mass is very solemn. In the case of UST, the dawn mass can take place in one of two locations; the open field or the parish. If the open field can't be used (usually because of rain), like in today's case, it will be held in the parish church. Today, one our helpers accompanied me for this day (but we stayed at different places at the church). The gospel of the day focused on the Genealogy of Christ. The priest preached about giving our love for others and the importance of waiting and finding joy in waiting. To emphasize his points, he talked about his personal experiences. Good homily, although it was long. The choir wasn't that good (although to be fair, they were OK). While they sang Christmas songs, they didn't really capture the festive mood of the season or the Simbang Gabi. The crowds were big, even bigger than Day 1s crowd at Christ the King (although that's because UST Parish is bigger...).



UST Main Building
And so far, that's where I've been to and there's some days to go. Any of you readers attending Simbang Gabi? How are you preparing for Christmas? Did you get any gifts so far? Whatever happens, I'm sure many of us have different plans of celebrating the most wonderful time of the year. Lest we get lost in all the holiday buzz, let's all find ways to make the season merry, even in our own way and, especially for those who attend the Simbang Gabi, remember the reason why we celebrate Christmas. :)

With that, I'm done and thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment