Monday, August 11, 2014

Rak of Aegis - Review

Warning: Some spoilers ahead!

The ticket
Yeah, you read the title right, it's not "Rock of Ages" (which I haven't even watched), but "Rak of Aegis", a musical play based on the songs of the popular Pinoy band Aegis. Something like "Mamma Mia" which used ABBA's songs (which I watched live during their world tour last 2012 at the CCP, though that's a different league altogether). Yesterday, I watched the play with my mom at the Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA) Theatre, near E. Roudriguez, QC. Thought I was gonna go somewhere else when she told me we were going out on the day.

Anyways, there were people lining up when we came since the play was to start at about 3 PM. We got in the theater at 2:30, and while waiting, I looked at the nice stage which looked like an estero, complete with a canal that actually was filled with water. The theater overall was quite small, it could seat I think 300 people at the most and it wasn't very comfortable, despite air conditioning (especially compared to the CCP main theater or UST's med audi or the open-air quadrangle of my high school). The play didn't start exactly at 3:00 though.

The play overall was nice. Again, spoiler alert, I'll be telling some (not all) of what happened. Basically the story is about the situation at this baranggay and the main character, a young woman who wants to become an internet sensation to be popular and to support her family, who are having financial problems. It also dealt with the issue of flood in their baranggay, the setting of the play as well as business woes and family problems on the part of its residents. In addition to those, it also dealt with being positive in spite of the problems and how the residents, towards the end were able to rise up against the challenges that they faced through creativity to say one thing. I wont be telling about it in depth but that basically is the story of the play.

For me, on a deeper level, the story is a reflection of some social problems affecting our country, especially on the issue of flooding, and the issue of unemployment and family problems. Yet in spite of this, the characters tried to find something to make them positive in spite of those issues. In addition, it portrays the attitude of many people, aspiring for a better life and popularity, especially at these trying times. I could say, this is a Filipino play because it is timely and shows some aspects of thee society, plus it supports OPM. :)

Personally though, it was nice, everyone watching it was laughing a lot with all the jokes and the acting, and some of the lines that sounded like they came from some teleseryes, as well as some pick-up lines. Best part for me however, ike most of those watching I'm sure, was the singing. Just amazing, parang concert, even if I'm not a fan of Aegis, though I do know some of their songs. Maybe I should check out more of their songs.

Also, a thought came after the play, on the way home. I found it nice to watch this play this month of August, because as we know, it is the Buwan ng Wika, or the month dedicated to our national language. So it's nice (and IMO at least, appropriate)  to watch  Filipino play during the Buwan ng Wika. Man, almost halfway through the month already... :| Ber months na in a few weeks...

Overall score: 8/10. Story and choreography aren't the best, dialogue is ok, aesthetics (stage, props and costumes) were great, venue wasn't so good (compared especially to bigger venues) but the singing's awesome. :) It's like you're watching a concert if it was the singing alone.


Cast of the play
PETA Theater, Near E. Roudriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment