Saturday, December 21, 2013

Paskuhan 2013

Wow, Paskuhan 2013, probably the biggest annual event our school holds, was really something. This year, unlike last year, it rained really hard, turning the open field into a massive mud field, but nonetheless, the concert continued on though, but I didn't watch it and left the school about past 8 PM. Hopefully, this doesn't happen again next year. In this post, I'll be telling what happened. I'll put in a separate post more pictures of this event.

This year's Paskuhan was dedicated to the victims of Typhoon Yolanda, hence the theme.
I came to the campus before 4 PM. I checked the place out for everything, while waiting for the Paskuhan Mass to begin. The event started with the Panunuluyan, or a play depicting the journey of Joseph and Mary, to find a place to stay for the birth of Christ, recalling the events of the first Christmas. This year, it took on a different take because it reflected the plight of the victims of Typhoon Yolanda, to whom this Paskuhan is dedicated to. It had a really nice message, focused on the saying of Christ about the the importance of helping those in need and saying what we do to them, we do to him. During the Panunuluyan, the rains started.

The field, already getting full. This was before it started to rain really hard.

Processional with "Joseph" and "Mary"

The Panunuluyan on the big screen

Venite Adoremus!

After that, the mass began. It was during the mass in which the rains were at their hardest and it was so hard, and the field was getting muddy, many people had to leave the place to find shelter. Only a few people remained in the field, myself included (Before the celebration began, the field was quickly getting full). It was one of the toughest masses I had to follow because it was raining. About halfway through the mass, I saw some people going to the stage, and so I went. I dunno if I was allowed to do that, but I got up the stage, and fortunately, it was pretty dry there and I had a good view of the field. I have to admit, this mass was quite a test of faith because we had to contend with the rains. The rains stopped after the mass. I'm not sure though if this mass can be counted as a Simbang Gabi mass (it started pretty early, about 5:30 PM) but even so, It was nice to attend the mass during the 5th day (i.e. Dec. 20), even if it rained hard and it was uncomfortable.

It was raining hard during the mass

During the mass, I went up the grandstand, sought shelter there and, from there, followed the mass. It doesn't show, but much of the big crowd in one of the previous pics left the field.
UST Rector, Fr. Herminio Dagohoy was the main presider.
After the mass, it was announced that the concert would push through. Good thing, I mean, after a long time of waiting, it'd be bad if it didn't. I went to the food stalls and bought milk tea and I was looking at what's going on and the people were quickly filling up the field again because it already stopped raining, but in ended up as a giant mud pit. Good thing I wore my rubber shoes because if I didn't, me feet would've been really dirty and much more wet, but others had a tougher time getting to the field and it was uncomfortable for them. I know it was uncomfortable, but some people were uttering bad words and that is really unnecessary. I'm guilty too of swearing and I get tempted to, but I know I shouldn't do that, because it's bad. While waiting for the concert to begin,the UST Yellow Jackets were having a performance at the top of the main building and I took many pictures of the events. I also checked out more of the tiangge that was set up for the occasion, looking at the Thomasian shirts, some having nice designs that I wanted to but them, but I didn't. It was all enjoyable and all.

UST Main Building
The open field became a massive mud field
A tiangge set up for this occasion only

Thomasian shirts. School pride :)
After all that though, I went to the chapel and the anticipated Simbang Gabi there was happening, didn't attend it though. After that, I was in the field for a bit and from there, about past 8, I left the school. I didn't attend the concert, but it really didn't matter (besides, I may not enjoy it too much because of the mud) and at least it was still enjoyable, albeit rainy and muddy after. (though obviously not as enjoyable as last year's though!) Hopefully, it wont rain, or if it does, then not hard for next year's Paskuhan.

No comments:

Post a Comment