Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Simbang Gabi 2013 - Dec 22 - 24

More of the Simbang Gabi 2013 continued from the last post.


 Dec 22 (Dawn Mass) - UST Parish, Manila

Good thing I was able to attend the dawn mass for that morning, despite the fact that I arrived really late the night before. This time, unlike the others, I wasn't alone because I was accompanied by my ninang and an ate. During the mass though, I was seated in a different place from them. The mass for that morning was presided over by UST's former rector, Fr. Rolando dela Rosa, O.P. He delivered a good enough homily. The church was full, but not as much compared to the first day wherein it was even standing room only outside the church.

Christmas decor

Outside the church.

Recessional
Dec 23 (Anticipated for Dec 24) - Christ the King Parish

Another somewhat busy day. I actually woke up at dawn, but I didn't attend the dawn mass because I was late for a church that I wanted to go to and for some reason, didn't want to go to another, which was my bad, so I just went back to sleep and decided to the last anticipated mass. There was this other church I wanted to go to but the location is unsafe so... yeah. I won't tell the name because it really doesn't matter. Later in the day, I went to SM North Edsa just to go around, enjoy myself and there was a fireworks display at 7 PM. Originally, I planned to go to the Santuario de San Pedro Bautista in Frisco again for that night but later on, I decided to go to Christ the King Parish. Before heading here, from SM, I went home a bit and then headed to the church. While the mass was supposed to start at 8 PM, it started really late, around 8:20. The priest arrived late and he delivered a pretty short sermon, talking about the importance of having silence at times and listening to God in silence. I could've attended this church earlier in the morning because the Misa de Gallo here was at 4:30 AM and I woke up at, I think, about 3:40-3:50, but I didn't... my bad.

Belen

Mano po, father!
Dec 24 (Last Dawn Mass) - UST Open Field

For the last Simbang Gabi mass, I had planned to have it in UST once again. This time, I wasn't sure that it would be held in the parish or in the field, because it had been raining a bit in the previous days but in the end, it took place in the field. Some trash left behind from the Paskuhan still remained in the field and there were still some places that were a bit muddy too that I messed up my sandals. Many people again attended but not as much compared to the last time the mass was held in the field. It was really nice to conclude the Dawn Masses in that setting. After that, I took a few pictures and checked out another church I went to earlier, Christ the King in E. Roudriguez, which still had their mass ongoing when I came. From there, I went home.

The Grandstand

Simbang Gabi Mass

People attending the last dawn mass

Christmas Tree

Belen under the Arch of the Centuries

The choir
Dec 24 (Midnight Mass) - St. Daniel Comboni Seminary, Roosevelt, Quezon City

For the Christmas eve mass, this is where me and some members of my family go to. We've gone here for the Christmas eve mass for a few years now and for this occasion, we did so once again. I went ahead to this church by myself because the others were still preparing and I shouldn't be late for the mass, but they also arrived in time for the mass. Must have been a few minutes or so after I arrived, but I stayed in another place. The mass was nice and many people had to be seated outside the chapel. After the mass, there was the veneration of the Child Jesus. It was a good enough setting to have the mass.

The chapel during the mass

Veneration of the Child Jesus after the mass

After attending the Simbang Gabi, it's quite something that it's already that time of the year. Really goes to show that time's fast. I know I attended many anticipated masses and yet still attended the dawn masses as well, but I have to admit, the experience was nice and I learned some lessons from them as well. It was great that I did this tradition and act of devotion. Until next year then.. Merry Christmas. :)

Masdan natin ang sinag ng tala
Sa tapat ng belen
Bayan ng ating Birheng dangal
At sumilang doon ang sanggol na mahal
Mananakop ng buong katauhan

Magsaya tayo kapatirang banal!
Ipagdiwang lugod sa puso!
Si Hesus natin syang tanging maykapal
Lumuhod tayo sa harap niya!

- Excerpt from "Diwa ng Pasko"

No comments:

Post a Comment