Friday, January 3, 2014

First Friday of 2014 at Quiapo

Today, Jan 3 is the first friday of the year and I went to Quiapo church today to hear mass along with thousands of other devotees of the Black Nazarene. In this post, I'll share my photos and experience.

At first, I was wondering on how I would go to Quiapo, when I came out, I opted for a jeep but (fortunately) changed my mind and took the LRT instead to Carriedo. If had taken a jeep, I would've dealt with heavy traffic. Once in Carriedo, a lot of people went out of the station and took me a while to get out of there before heading to the church, hoping I'm not late for the mass. Once I came, the 9 AM mass wasn't finished yet. Good thing because I was going to attend the next mass at 10 AM. Even though it's not yet the big day, one can already feel the fiesta atmosphere already. In fact, the sheer crowd of devotees that came is already like a preview of the feast day, though the fiesta will have a bigger attendance (about 10 million expected, yes as in that many). It was tough getting into the church and getting out as well because of the huge crowd of devotees but I was able to attend the mass. After the mass,  took more pictures around Plaza Miranda and later bought hopia at this hopia store along Palanca street before coming home, it was for my mom. I had one hopia for myself. It's good but I prefer Eng Bee Tin's hopia, which is far better in my opinion. After that, I went back to the LRT and went home.

Here are my pics of the many scenes today (don't use w/o permission):

Carriedo st. Taken from the LRT station before leaving

Bikers hearing mass

Deboto ng Nazareno. Wearing one of the many Nazareno shirt designs.

Another Nazareno shirt.

News reporter from GMA

Devotees along Quezon blvd

Images of the Black Nazarene on sale

Devotees raise hands during the end of the mass



Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno, sinasamba Ka namin...


Inside Quiapo Church

Small image of the Nazarene

Lining up to venerate an image of the Senor Nazareno

Blessing during the mass

Debosyon


One of those quasi-religious sects in Quiapo



Another Nazareno design. I quite like this one.

A religious sect in front of Quiapo church trying to get followers.

Praying over

Thousands in attendance

Votive candles

Sabi nga bawal eh...


Feng Shui for the year of the Horse

No comments:

Post a Comment