Friday, January 10, 2014

The Nazareno 2014 Experience

Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Dinarangal Ka namin,
Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno,
Niluluwalhati Ka namin!


What can I say, this year's Feast of the Black Nazarene, although tiring, was an awesome and blessed event for me to attend. As a devotee of the Black Nazarene and a person who likes to go to this event, Jan 9 is an very important day and millions of other people from all over the country. No doubt this is one of the biggest events (if not the biggest event) I attend. This was the 5th time I attended this feast (My first was last 2010). Most of the time during the feast, I've been going back and forth from Quiapo to the area near city hall. While I'll post some pictures here, I'll be sharing my experiences and will be posting different scenes from this feast day and the Traslacion throughout the month.


First, I went to Quiapo from our place via LRT and was able to attend the mass at 8 AM. It was nice that I was able to enter the church. Before and after the mass, I captured the many scenes around the place, including some members of some religious sects wearing costumes based on those of Christ, the saints and biblical characters, which perhaps is one of the most fascinating (and bizarre) sights during the feast.

Devotees raise hands at the end of the 7 AM mass

One of those religious sects in Quiapo
Devotees at the end of the mass inside the church
One of many images of the Senor Nazareno
After attending mass and getting out of the church, I headed to the area of the Liwasang Bonifacio and I venerated some images along the way. I noticed that there were huge containers blocking the way to MacArthur bridge, so devotees can be sure to go to Jones bridge, which was a big change they did for the route this year (MacArthur bridge was unsafe). I went to SM Manila for a bit and after a short visit there, I went back to Quiapo. Back in Quiapo, it was in the middle of the 10 AM mass at the church and even from afar, one can already hear the service going on so more can attend. I kept going all over Quiapo, snapping shots and venerating images and taking it all in. I left Quiapo when the 11 AM mass began and went back to the city hall area, Near Liwasang Bonifacio.

@ Quezon bridge
Devotees and the unused Metropolitan Theater
Devotees pose for my camera. Thanks guys!
Venerating a replica image
Banners and devotees at the National Museum
Very young devotees on their carriage, posing as well
Thousands, many barefooted near Liwasang Bonifacio
Huge containers in the background blocking the way to MacArthur bridge.
Quiapo, filled with thousands of people
One of the many groups on a truck at Plaza Miranda
Even minions have joined in the feast
Basilica of the Black Nazarene, Quiapo


Arriving there (again), there were more people and I noticed that there were many police officers stationed in the area and the crowds and banners of the Nazareno were everywhere, a sign that the Black Nazarene was close. It was there where things got chaotic. Many (I'm sure not all) devotees were trying to divert the image back to the old route (i.e via MacArthur). They pushed the huge containers that were set up there in attempt to go to the old route. Many devotees were out of hand, shoving each other and that's a scary moment, especially when your there and you're actually seeing it up close and there's the chance that you can trapped into the mix. I knew the Andas was somewhere there so I went out of the procession's way and headed to this elevated ground in the middle of the road, passing through some devotees and headed to a part of the road where some devotees passed by and went up the elevated ground, and when I came, there it was. The Andas of the Black Nazarene was just in front of me. While I was not down there with the other devotees pushing each other, those moments were one of the closest I have ever been to the Andas in the middle of this procession. After that, I followed the Andas and watched the devotees' attempt to get it to MacArthur while crossing to the other side. Fortunately, the procession went to the right track. It was a relief. Before going to SM Manila again for luch, I looked one last time at the Andas as it headed to Jones bridge. I had lunch at their food court and had milk tea (I make it a point to get good milk tea when I feel like it). While at SM, I noticed many barefoot devotees all over the place. I went home via LRT from there, I saw the scenes along Pasig River.

How'd they get up there?
Thousands upon thousands at the Liwasang Bonifacio area
The Andas of the Black Nazarene up close
Later in the afternoon, I went to SM Marikina because I had something to attend and had dinner at Vikings. It was the first time I ate there and it was a good experience. What a way to end such a great day. I admit there is already quite a fanaticism among some devotees and it is scary to see things go out of hand, like that scene near Liwasang Bonifacio, but in spite of these, I will remain a devotee. Now that the feast day's over, the challenge of the feast begins and me and many others have much to do before being true devotees of the Nazareno. Hopefully, I can attend next year's feast and those in the years to come. Until then...

VIVA NUESTRO PADRE JESUS NAZARENO! VIVA SENOR NAZARENO!

No comments:

Post a Comment